Prior to joining the DeCotiis law firm, Mr. Damato was employed by several New Jersey municipalities and school districts in various administrative and consulting capacities. Mr. Damato has handled collective negotiations, mediations, fact findings and arbitrations with police, fire, nurses, sanitation, civilian blue and white collar as well as administrative employees. He has provided employment training at all levels, reviewed and resolved grievances and EEOC matters at all levels, and drafted Inter-local Services Agreements for shared municipal services. Mr. Damato has extensive knowledge of public sector budgetary, accounting, finance and operational matters. Mr. Damato has also been retained as a Hearing Officer for construction and employment hearings and mediations.
Mr. Damato has over 20 years experience serving as General Counsel to several public entities. In this capacity, he rendered legal opinions on a variety of issues, was responsible for all legal matters, and handled various types of contractual negotiations, litigation, negotiation and settlement of suits and claims. He was also responsible for appointment and management of all outside counsel assignments, handled all document preparation, bid specification, and contract preparation and review amongst other responsibilities.
Mr. Damato is a graduate of Montclair State University, receiving a BA in Political Science. He then attended Rutgers University, receiving his MPA in 1982. Mr. Damato also attended Seton Hall Law School receiving his JD in 1990.
• Seton Hall Law School - JD
• Rutgers University - MPA
• Montclair State University – BA, Cum Laude
• Certified School Business Administrator
• R. 1:40 Qualified Mediator (Civil, General equity and Probate matters)
• New Jersey, December 1990
• New Jersey State Bar Association
• Construction, Employment and ADR sections
• New Jersey Association of School Attorneys
• Council of School Attorneys
• New Jersey Public Employee Labor Relations Association