William R. Finizio
William R. Finizio is a partner in the Paramus office of DeCotiis. He joined the firm as a partner in 2017. His practice focuses on civil and commercial litigation, white collar criminal litigation, securities litigation, ERISA litigation and corporate compliance and monitoring.
Mr. Finizio helps clients resolve complex commercial disputes, as well as criminal investigations and charges, in both state and federal courts. He has defended multiple national carriers in numerous policyholder claims for denial of benefits under group policies governed by ERISA. He has also successfully represented corporations and individuals in criminal investigations brought by the United States Attorney's Office, the Securities and Exchange Commission and the Attorney General's Office for the State of New Jersey.
Mr. Finizio also handles a variety of matters on behalf of state and local government entities. This has included matters involving civil rights, governmental authority, public entity governance and public records access. He has successfully defended public entities on numerous occasions, particularly law enforcement officers and departments, and has given continuing legal education presentations on this subject.
Mr. Finizio has been lead trial counsel defending a Police Officer in a complex, month long wrongful death jury trial stemming from a fatal shooting. He has also been lead trial counsel defending an insurance company regarding alleged underpayment for medical services, successfully moving to dismiss all claims after cross-examining plaintiff's witnesses.
Mr. Finizio was a judicial law clerk to Hudson County Superior Court Presiding Judge Elaine L. Davis before joining the Hudson County prosecutor's office. As an assistant prosecutor with the county, he tried numerous armed robbery, aggravated sexual assault, arson and gambling cases.
Mr. Finizio received his J.D. from Seton Hall University School of Law and is a summa cum laude graduate of Seton Hall University.
- Seton Hall University School of Law, Newark, New Jersey
- J.D. - 1997
- Seton Hall University, South Orange, New Jersey
- B.A. - 1993
- Honors: summa cum laude
- New Jersey
- U.S. District Court District of New Jersey
- Corporate Internal Investigations & Monitoring
- Restrictive Covenant, Trade Secret & Unfair Competition
- White Collar Criminal Defense & Government Investigations
Classes & Seminars
- June 4-5, 2018 – Mr. Finizio presented at a National Business Institute conference, approved for Continuing Legal Education credits, entitled “The Ultimate Guide to Police Liability Claims”. Mr. Finizio’s presentation focused on the issues related to use of experts and jury selection in police liability cases.
- Hudson County Superior Court Presiding Judge Elaine L. Davis, Judicial Law Clerk