Mark J. Semeraro is a partner at DeCotiis, FitzPatrick, Cole & Giblin, LLP.
He joined the firm in 2021 and is a member of the Real Estate/Redevelopment, Litigation, Employment and Public Entity Law Groups.
Mr. Semeraro has almost 30 years of experience in commercial, employment and personal injury litigation.
He also regularly represents various individuals and business entities, large scale real estate developers and individuals in various litigation matters and some of the state's largest property owners & managers and real estate developers in litigation, land use applications and redevelopment projects.
During the past 11 years, his practice has focused on substantial land use applications, redevelopment projects (where he represents both private and public sector clientele) and related litigation.
Additionally, he works on insurance defense matters involving auto negligence, errors and omissions/professional liability, employment liability, toxic tort, civil rights, Title 59 and public entity liability claims, as well as in mass tort (class action) and toxic tort litigation.
He is also a local government attorney and has served as municipal attorney for Wayne Township, Cedar Grove Township and the Borough of Bloomingdale. He currently serves as borough attorney for North Caldwell, Pompton Lakes and Kenilworth, and special counsel for approximately 7 other municipalities and counties.
Prior to joining the firm, he handled several noteworthy matters including a highly publicized case regarding a toxic dumpsite that was the subject of a major television network documentary. In this documentary, he was the lead defense counsel in a class-action lawsuit consisting of over 650 plaintiffs involving allegations of personal injury caused by environmental contamination and carried with it a one-billion-dollar demand.
Mr. Semeraro has also developed a practice niche representing real estate agencies, brokers and agents in transactional, litigation and administrative matters.
He has successfully litigated several high profile lawsuits involving commercial litigation, employment litigation (including NJ Law Against Discrimination), civil rights litigation, environmental and toxic tort litigation, mass tort and class action litigation and regularly appears in all state and federal courts within New Jersey and in New York's eastern and southern counties.
University of Bridgeport School of Law, Bridgeport, Connecticut
- Honors: Judicial law clerk to the Honorable Sylvan G. Rothenberg, J.S.C.
- Honors: Barrister, Justice Clifford Inns of Court, 1999
William Paterson College, Wayne, New Jersey
- New York, 1994
- New Jersey
- U.S. Court of Appeals 3rd Circuit
- U.S. District Court District of New Jersey
- Real Estate/Redevelopment
- Land Use
- Personal Injury Litigation
- Employment and Public Entity Law
- Judicial law clerk to the Honorable Sylvan G. Rothenberg, J.S.C.
- Barrister, Justice Clifford Inns of Court, 1999
- Bergen County Top Lawyer, 201 Magazine, May 2012
- Good Scout of the Year, Northern New Jersey Council of The Boy Scouts of America, 2008
- Highest Attorney Rating in Ethics and Skills (AV) Martindale Hubbell since 2005
- A.M. Best recommended insurance defense attorney
- Bergen County (NJ) Bar Association
- Associate Member of the New Jersey Institute of Local Government Attorneys
- ICSC (International Shopping Center Owners Council) Former chairman of the northern New Jersey P3 section which focuses on government relationships
- CoreNet Global