Redevelopment Is A Significant Undertaking At Any Level
Redevelopment law is one of the cornerstones of our firm, and the work of DeCotiis, FitzPatrick, Cole & Giblin, LLP, is – in terms of both expertise and volume – one of New Jersey’s leaders in the field. We have represented entities at every level of government, including municipalities, counties, housing and redevelopment authorities, municipal and county public authorities, regional authorities, state agencies and authorities, and the state itself.
The diverse nature of our public sector practice allows us to offer teams of highly skilled professionals who provide expert legal guidance on matters pertaining to planning and redevelopment. On the private sector side, the firm also represents numerous companies undertaking mixed-use redevelopment projects throughout New Jersey.
A Multifaceted Approach To Redevelopment Projects
One of our strengths is our attorneys’ unique perspective. In addition to land-use and planning expertise, DeCotiis, FitzPatrick, Cole & Giblin, LLP, also has cutting-edge expertise in finance. We do much more than simply apply the law. We analyze projects from a business perspective as well, and develop recommendations and strategies based on whether and how the financial models support the client’s business objectives. We think like businesspeople in addition to thinking like lawyers.
We are particularly skilled in developing creative solutions to challenging redevelopment projects. Should an intricate deal require analysis from other legal perspectives, we routinely draw upon resources and knowledge across our team – environmental law, corporate law, real estate, bankruptcy – to help build a solution.
Providing Critical Insight Throughout The Process
We provide a full range of services for redevelopment projects and have hands-on expertise in every facet of these complex transactions, including:
- Overseeing redevelopment investigation studies to determine if an area qualifies as a redevelopment area under the Local Redevelopment and Housing Law
- Assisting in the preparation of redevelopment plans and amendments to the municipal master plan to ensure consistency and compliance with the Municipal Land Use Law
- Preparing requisite resolutions and ordinances for actions to be taken, and ensuring that public hearing requirements are met
- Soliciting and selecting qualified developers through the preparation of procurement documents
- Issuing requests for proposals
- Negotiating redevelopment agreements and financial agreements for payments in lieu of taxes
- Coordinating due diligence activities for project sites, including environmental investigations and remediation, property appraisals, surveys, title searches, and Workable Relocation Assistance Plans
- Negotiating contracts for the acquisition of property and assisting governmental clients in condemnation proceedings in compliance with the Condemnation Law
Conversely, our expertise in these areas also provides a valuable base from which we advise our private clients in the same processes, from being selected as qualified developers to negotiating a beneficial development agreement and completing the project. Our attorneys provide overall project management, for both our public and private clients, to assure the completion and success of a redevelopment project.
An important element of the value we provide to our redevelopment clients is our extensive and longstanding relationships throughout the redevelopment community. We can often either facilitate or help structure a project more advantageously by putting together the team that can get the deal done. Whether a project needs mezzanine financing, a working relationship with a bank or something else, we stand ready to help our clients make it happen.
We Can Be Your Source Of Information
With proven experience in redevelopment and other public sector projects, DeCotiis, FitzPatrick, Cole & Giblin, LLP, can give you the guidance necessary to effectively complete the task at hand. Call 201-928-1100 or complete our intake form to review your circumstances with our attorneys.