Alfred C. DeCotiis
- Of Counsel
Alfred C. DeCotiis is Of Counsel at DeCotiis. He joined the firm in 1996 and heads the White Collar Litigation and Corporate Investigations practice group.
Mr. DeCotiis is a prominent criminal defense attorney who specializes in the defense of complex white collar, political corruption and corporate investigations in both federal and state courts. Mr. DeCotiis served as an Assistant United States Attorney.
He has also been a political leader in the State of New Jersey, both at the state and federal level. He was a member of the Democratic National Committee for 12 years, and served in a variety of leadership positions in the presidential campaigns of President Bill Clinton, Vice President Al Gore and Hillary Clinton.
In 1995, President Clinton selected Mr. DeCotiis to serve as the U.S. Representative to the 50th Session to the United Nations General Assembly. He was confirmed by the United States Senate and represented the United States before the General Assembly, addressing issues relating to disarmament and international security, economic and financial matters, as well as global social, humanitarian and cultural issues.
Mr. DeCotiis received his B.A. from Villanova University in Liberal Arts, graduating in three years and was nominated by Villanova University for a Rhodes Scholarship. He graduated from Villanova University Law School, where he was President of the Student Bar Association. Immediately following law school, he clerked for the Honorable Reynier Wortendyke Jr. of the United States District Court for the District of New Jersey. In 2009, he earned a Master's Degree in state and local government from Kean University graduating with distinction. He was designated a New Jersey Super Lawyer in 2010 and 2011 and is an AV-rated Attorney by Martindale-Hubble.
Villanova University School of Law, Villanova, Pennsylvania
- Juris Doctor - 1968
- Honors: President of the Student Bar Association
Villanova University, Villanova, Pennsylvania
- B.A. - 1965
- Major: Liberal Arts
- New Jersey, 1968
- U.S. District Court District of New Jersey, 1968
- U.S. Court of Appeals 3rd Circuit, 1969
- White Collar and Corporate Investigations
- District of New Jersey, Assistant United States Attorney
- New Jersey Assembly Committee on Independent Authorities and Commissions, Counsel, 1984
- New Jersey Transportation Trust Fund Authority, Vice Chairman, 1984 to 1988
- North Jersey District Water Supply Commission, General Counsel
- 50th Session to the United Nations General Assembly, U.S. Representative
- AV-rated Attorney by Martindale-Hubble
- New Jersey Super Lawyer, 2010 - 2011
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- Elected as a Fellow of the American Bar Association
- Member of the New Jersey Legislature's Insanity Defense Study, 1985
- Appointed as Assistant United States Attorney for the District of New Jersey and served under Frederick B. Lacey and Herbert J. Stern, 1984
- Served as counsel to the New Jersey Assembly Committee on Independent Authorities and Commissions, 1984
- Appointed by New Jersey Senate President Carmen Orechio and Governor Thomas Kean to be Vice Chairman to the New Jersey Transportation Trust Fund Authority, 1984 to 1988
- General Counsel to North Jersey District Water Supply Commission, 1993
- Elected by the Chief Judge of the United States District Court to be on the Federal Lawyers Advisory Committee, 1993
- Member of the Democratic National Finance Council
- Member of the Democratic National Committee for 12 years and a Managing Trustee of the Democratic National Committee
- Mr. DeCotiis received personal commendations for his prosecutorial achievements from the FBI Director J. Edgar Hoover and from the United States Attorney General