Vipin Varghese is a Partner at DeCotiis practicing in the areas of Employee Benefits, Labor, and Employment in New Jersey and New York, including the representation of public and private sector local unions and their affiliated multiemployer benefit funds.
Mr. Varghese counsels clients, litigates in both state and federal courts, and regularly handles a variety of administrative and regulatory proceedings. He provides compliance advice to multiemployer employee benefit plan clients with respect to a wide variety of laws, including ERISA, ACA, and the tax code. He also counsels clients on plan design, structure, implementation, amendment, and administration, withdrawal liability, delinquency actions, alter egos and single employer issues, benefit claims, and fiduciary issues.
Mr. Varghese interned at the United States Department of Labor - Employee Benefits Security Administration during law school, where he assisted with investigations of ERISA fiduciary breaches. Prior to law school, Mr. Varghese worked for several years at a NYC law firm, which concentrated its practice in labor and employee benefits law.
- Represents several multi-employer Taft Hartley Funds in litigation in state and federal courts, and bankruptcy proceedings
- Counsels multiemployer plan fiduciaries on plan administration, prohibited transactions, investments selection and monitoring, government filings, service provider agreements, and plan communications
- Represents clients in a variety of labor matters including disciplinary and contractual arbitration disputes
- Assists clients in drafting and negotiating collective bargaining agreements
- Represents clients in unfair labor practice proceedings and representation cases
Mr. Varghese received a B.A. in History from Adelphi University in 2002. He received a J.D. from Brooklyn Law School in 2010.
Mr. Varghese is a member of the New Jersey Bar Association and the Chaminade High School Alumni Association. He also previously served on the Employee Benefits and Executive Compensation Committee.
Brooklyn Law School, Brooklyn, New York
- J.D. - 2010
- B.A. - 2002
- Major: History
- New York, 2011
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York, 2011
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York, 2011
- New Jersey, 2012
- U.S. District Court District of New Jersey
- Employee Benefits
- U.S. DOL-EBSA, Investigator, 2009 to 2010
- O'Dwyer & Berstein LLP, Paralegal, 2003 to 2007
- United States Department of Labor – Employee Benefits Security Administration, Intern
- New York City Bar Association, 2008 to Present